On 18 June the Laboratory for physical and numerical modeling of flows with burning in engines of prospective aircraft was opened. The laboratory is hosted by the Zhukovsky Central AeroHydrodynamic Institute (TsAGI) and lead by Vladimir Sabelnkiov, senior research fellow of the French Aerospace Laboratory ONERA, Doctor of physical and mathematical sciences.
Creation of the laboratory became possible thanks to the fifth mega-grant competition conducted by the Government of the Russian Federation.
Numerous officials took part in the opening ceremony, among them were:
- Vadim Khromov, senior deputy minister of investments and innovation of the Moscow region
- Sergey Emelyanov, direcotr of the Department for aviation industry of the Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation
- Magomed Mintsaev deputy director of the Department of science and technology of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation
- Andry Kozlov, deputy CEO of the National Research Center «Zhukovsky Institute»
Alexis Michel, attache for science and technology of the Embassy of France in Russia
Top priority directions of fundamental and applied research of the laboratory will be:
- modernizatipm of exisiting fuel burning models and creation of new models
- creation of new highly effective software algorithms
- design and production of an experimental combustion chamger, creation of new turbulence models
In his welcome address, Sergey Chernyshew, CEO of TsAGI noted that this laboratory will help to enhance international scientific contacts all around the worlds and attract young people to research in the field of aeronautics.
During the laboratory's presentation Vladimir Sablnikov introduced his scientific team to the guests of the ceremony, and told them about modern equipment that will allow the laboratory to obting high precision results in the shortest time possible.
«Creating our team we were betting on young professionals. so that we could transfer our knowledge to them and to learn something new from them», said Vladimir Sabelnikov in his speech.
This is the first laboratory that TsAGI created within the framework of the «mega-grant» program.